Saturday 6 March 2010

Sheer Landscape

 

This started with a pale blue and purple fabric whic I'd hand- dyed but didn't like. I painted a piece of bondaweb with  Lumiere paints and ironed it onto the fabric. I decided to add some sheer organza but didn't have any suitable colours so I dug out some papers I'd painted a couple of years ago with transfer paints. These paints can be used to paint patterns or pictures on ordinary paper then the picture can be ironed onto synthetic fabrics. I had sponged and painted various colours and so could iron these onto my organza. Here's one of the papers:

 
And the colour trainsferred onto my polyester organza:
 
Here's another:

 
I tore the organza into strips and pulled some threads in some pieces to get a scrunched fabric for more texture:
 
The organza is easy to attach to the fabric as the bondaweb still has some stickiness when ironed. 
 

I then layered with wadding and backing and quilted with cotton threads, Finally I added beads by machine - watch a video of the technique here.
 
It is more textured than this photo shows. I may add more beads and still have to bind it but I've enjoyed this and am very satisfied with the result!

3 comments:

  1. That's very clever, and effective too. Maybe I'll get to see it in person soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely Hazel - totally appropriate for this month's theme of texture! Will make a lovely C&G sample.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hazel
    a friend sent me the link to your blog, I am studying City and Guilds level 3 in creative techniques in Norwich at the moment, so great to have found you. Love the samples by the way

    ReplyDelete