Thursday 17 December 2009

Indigo and Batik Samples



December at college was dyeing with procion, indigo and batik samples. I'd bought Janice Gunner's book, Shibori for Textile Artists at the Knitting and Stitching Show so I had a go at some of her stitched resist techniques.


These two samples were made by

a) pinching and twisting little cones of fabric and fastening them with thread.

b) hand stitching rows of running stitch then gathering before dyeing.


I'm really pleased with how they turned out and will be quilting them - on the machine of course!












I also tried pleating and folding and tying in knots:


               Pleated and folded in triangles                       pleated then tied in knots


                                                 pinched in the centre and pleated

I did do some procion dyeing with thickened dyes and the leftover thin dyes - more about that another time.
On Sunday Lesley showed us how to practice batik on paper with leftover dyes. Then we moved onto fabric. I used silk paints on fabric I'd dyed pastel colours perviously:


This was done in a hoop and I painted random colours over the waxed pattern



 Here I wasnted the look of ripples on water. Pity about the blobs - perhaps I could paint them and turn them into rocks!

So a very busy but satisfying weekend. I'd really like to get on with lots of quilting using these but will I have time in the next couple of weeks?

3 comments:

  1. Looks like you had fun. Now I'm looking forward to seeing them for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great with detailed information. It is really very helpful for us.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete